Greenback gains on euro, yen
August 22, 2008
Greenback gains on euro, yen
Story link: Greenback gains on euro, yen
The US dollar saw gains against the euro and the yen Friday, helped by comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke that while it remains â€œuncertainâ€ just what will happen with inflation in the US, declines in commodities prices, slower economic growth, and a stable dollar will likely limit inflation.
Another aid to the greenback was a report that Korea Development Bank, owned by the South Korean government, could be interested in buying Lehman Brothers (NYSE: LEH).
Meanwhile, the euro was hurt by new data showing that industrial orders in the Eurozone are down 7.4 percent from last year.
In late morning trade in New York the dollar traded at $1.4795 to the euro while it took Â¥109.9600 to buy a dollar and the yen also declined in relation to the euro, to Â¥162.6911.
The yen was also weaker against the South African rand and the Brazilian real as investors returned to purchases of higher-yielding currencies on the news about possible Korean interest in Lehman Brothers.
Not long before noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥14.357 to the rand and at Â¥68.038 to the real.
The pound was weaker versus the US dollar and the euro on new data showing that the UK economy did not grow at all in the second quarter, adding to the case for an interest rate cut by the Bank of England.
At late morning in New York the pound traded at 79.79 to the euro, while it took $1.8588 to buy a pound.
It was the fifth week in a row that the pound weakened versus the greenback.
- EUR USD Rate Hits 4-Month High, GBP EUR Drops - June 18, 2013
- Euro to Pound Exchange Rate (EUR/GBP) Drops As Greece Fears Escalate - June 18, 2013
- Foreign Currency Exchange Rate Predictions For GBP EUR USD & CHF - June 17, 2013
- GBP EUR Forecast To Gain, GBP USD Exchange Rate Rises - June 17, 2013
- Exchange Rates Outlook: Pound to Euro & Pound to Dollar Down Despite Strong UK Housing Data - June 14, 2013
- GBP EUR & GBP USD Exchange Rate Hinge On Future Central Bank Policy - June 14, 2013
- Foreign Currency Exchange Rate Outlook For EUR GBP And Forecast For USD NZD - June 13, 2013
- GBP AUD & GBP NZD Exchange Rates Drop - June 13, 2013
- Euro Exchange Rate Today: GBP/EUR, GBP AUD & GBP NZD Rates Tumble - June 12, 2013
- GBP USD Rate Spirals, GBP EUR Tests Higher - June 12, 2013
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast