Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- Euro to US Dollar (EUR/USD) Exchange Rate Tumbles; Russia Invasion Shakes Market - August 29, 2014
- Pound to Japanese Yen Exchange Rate (GBP/JPY) Soft; Yen Appeals as Safe Haven As Russia Invades - August 29, 2014
- Aus & NZ Dollar Forecasts - Pound Sterling to Australian Dollar & New Zealand Dollar Exchange Rates Forecast To Decline - August 29, 2014
- Forecasts Today: Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Close to Best Rate in Two years, Canadian to Support US Dollar (USD) - August 29, 2014
- Pound, US Dollar, Euro & NZ Dollar Forecasts - GBP USD EUR NZD Exchange Rates Outlook and Predictions 2015 - August 28, 2014
- Pound to Euro Forecast - Analysts Predict Hit Best GBP/EUR Exchange Rate in Two Years - August 27, 2014
- Today's Pound to Dollar Exchange Rate Predictions Are Forecasting Gains on Forex Markets - August 27, 2014
- Pound Sterling to Swiss Franc Exchange Rate Firms; CHF Stronger vs Euro (EUR) and US Dollar (USD) - August 27, 2014
- New Zealand Dollar FX - GBP to NZD Exchange Rate Steady; NZ Continues to Gain vs Euro and US Dollar - August 27, 2014
- Pound to Rupee Exchange Rate - Today's GBP INR Holds Gains; Indian Rupee Feels Coalgate - August 27, 2014
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast