Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- Euro to US Dollar Exchange Rate Today - EUR/USD Firmed on Positive PMI data - July 24, 2014
- Pound Exchange Predictions: GBP USD And GBP EUR Exchange Rates Forecast To Drop - July 24, 2014
- Japanese Yen to Pound Exchange Rate Slightly Higher Against Weakened Sterling - July 24, 2014
- Today's Pound Sterling, Euro, US Dollar & Rand Outlook - Exchange Rate Forecasts & Predictions 2014 - July 24, 2014
- Losses Forecast For Pound to Rand (GBP/ZAR) & Pound to Canadian Dollar (GBP/CAD) Exchange Rates - July 23, 2014
- Pound to New Zealand Dollar Exchange Rate Weaker on Bank of England Minutes - July 23, 2014
- Pound to Rupee (GBP/INR) Exchange Rate Lowers as BoE Weigh on Sterling - July 23, 2014
- Exchange Rates Outlook - Euro, Pound Sterling, Swiss Franc & US Dollar Exchange Rates - July 23, 2014
- Pound Sterling Rates Today - GBP AUD & GBP USD Exchange Rate Forecast Lower - July 22, 2014
- Pound to Rand Exchange Rate Today - GBP ZAR Falls on Above Forecast South African Inflation - July 22, 2014
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast