Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- Australian Dollar to New Zealand Dollar Exchange Rate Today: AUD/NZD Falls, NZ Data Could Bolster NZ Dollar - January 25, 2015
- US Dollar to Pound Sterling Weekly Roundup: January 19 to 23 - January 25, 2015
- Euro to Pound Outlook: EUR/GBP Exchange Rate Weekly Roundup January 19 to 23 - January 25, 2015
- Pound to Indian Rupee Advances on Disappointing growth forecast - January 25, 2015
- Canadian Dollar Forecast: CAD Exchange Rate Downtrend Continues as Inflation Dips - January 25, 2015
- Pound Euro NEWSFLASH : Pound Sterling Volatility Forecast After ECB Quantitative Easing - January 22, 2015
- Pound to Japanese Yen Exchange Rate Falls - GBP/JPY Slumps Despite BoJ Inflation Expectations Cut - January 22, 2015
- Euro Dollar Exchange Rate Plummets to New 11-Year Low - January 22, 2015
- Global Monetary Policy 'Loose as a Goose' - Volatility Forecast for EUR CAD NZD AUD - January 22, 2015
- Pound Sterling to Indian Rupee weakens on Bank of England Minutes - January 21, 2015
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast