Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- GBP NZD Exchange Rate Trended Higher as Market Confidence Faded - March 27, 2017
- USD/GBP Hits 8-Week Low After Trump Withdraws Healthcare Bill - March 27, 2017
- USD AUD Exchange Rate Slides as Fed Appears to be in No Hurry to Hike Rates - March 24, 2017
- GBP CHF Exchange Rate Slides after EC President Confirms Brexit ‘Divorce Bill’ - March 24, 2017
- GBP USD Exchange Rate Trended Higher After Bullish Retail Sales - March 23, 2017
- Soaring UK Retail Sales Trigger GBP AUD Exchange Rate Rally - March 23, 2017
- AUD to NZD Exchange Rate Trends Flatly Near Weekly Lows Ahead of RBNZ Meeting - March 22, 2017
- GBP JPY Exchange Rate Plummets as Japan’s Trade Balance Rallies - March 22, 2017
- Rising UK Inflation Prompted Bullish Run for GBP NZD Exchange Rate - March 21, 2017
- GBP CHF Exchange Rate Accelerates after UK Inflation Hits 2.3% - March 21, 2017
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast