Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- Positive US Data Sees GBP USD Exchange Rate Forecast Lower - May 27, 2016
- US GDP Data Sends GBP USD Exchange Rate Forecast Lower on Increased Fed Rate Hike Bets - May 27, 2016
- Pound Sterling GBP Exchange Rate Forecast vs USD CAD - Another Limited UK Data Week Incoming - May 26, 2016
- Pound Sterling (GBP) Forecast Uncertain as EU Referendum Debate Promises to Bring 'Leave' Arguements - May 26, 2016
- Brexit Less Likely : Pound Sterling (GBP) Forecast Deteriorates Considerably - May 25, 2016
- Currency Newsflash : Investors Put Cart Before Horse – Sterling Outlook Improves Measurably against Competition - May 24, 2016
- 2 Reasons Why Pound Sterling (GBP) is Forecast to Improve - GDP and 'Brexit' News - May 24, 2016
- Japanese Data Weighs on Risk Sentiment after BOJ Speech, German GDP Data Forecast to Alter Euro (EUR) Levels in Near-Term - May 23, 2016
- Pound Sterling Soars on Recent EU Referendum Arguements - May 23, 2016
- UK Interest Rate Expectations Drive Pound Sterling (GBP) Forecast - May 20, 2016
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast