Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- Exchange Rates Today: Pound Sterling Gains vs Euro and Swiss Franc, Limited Adances vs Aus and NZ Dollar - December 19, 2014
- Pound to Rupee Exchange Rate: GBP/INR News, Forecast and Outlook Today - December 18, 2014
- Pound Advances versus New Zealand Dollar (GBP/NZD) as NZ Trade Deficit Expands - December 18, 2014
- Exchange Rate Forecast For Pound Sterling GBP vs EUR USD CHF - December 18, 2014
- Euro Dollar Exchange Rate Softer Despite Positive Euro Zone data - December 18, 2014
- Pound Sterling to Euro Exchange Rate Forecast: GBP EUR Improves on Putin Comments - December 18, 2014
- Pound to Yen Rate Today: GBP/JPY Higher as UK Retail Sales Soar - December 18, 2014
- Pound, Aus Dollar, NZ Dollar and Rand Forecasts: Exchange Rate Predictions for GBP, EUR, USD & ZAR - December 17, 2014
- Pound to South African Rand Exchange Rate Today: GBP/ZAR Stronger on Risk Aversion - December 17, 2014
- Pound to Swiss Franc Exchange Rate Relatively Static after UK Inflation Falls; Heavy Data to Come - December 17, 2014
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast