Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- GBP EUR Exchange Rate Remains Biased to Downside over Hard Brexit Worries - October 28, 2016
- UK Borrowing Costs Increase, Pound US Dollar Exchange Rate Slides - October 28, 2016
- ‘Brexit’ Sentiment Rules Supreme, GBP EUR Exchange Rate Largely Ignores GDP Rise - October 27, 2016
- Short-Lived GBP Rally on GDP Stats Leaves Pound US Dollar Weaker - October 27, 2016
- GBP NZD Exchange Rate Skirts Historic Low as £84 Billion Black Hole Opens - October 26, 2016
- 3-Year Low for Pound Australian Dollar Exchange Rate after Inflation Stats - October 26, 2016
- Despite Pledge to put City ‘at Heart of Brexit Negotiations’ Pound Dollar Exchange Rate Crashed - October 25, 2016
- GBP EUR Exchange Rate Tumbles as Mark Carney Faces Grilling - October 25, 2016
- Pound to Dollar Exchange Rate Trends Narrowly After Dovish Fed Commentary - October 24, 2016
- GBP EUR Exchange Rate Volatile as Market Uncertainty Increases Ahead of Carney Decision - October 24, 2016
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast