Yen lower on new US plan
February 18, 2009
Yen lower on new US plan
Story link: Yen lower on new US plan
The US dollar gained on the yen and the euro on Wednesday on a new plan from the administration of US President Barack Obama that is designed to slow the number of home foreclosures in the United States.
The plan, worth $75 billion, is aimed a helping millions of US homeowners to refinance loans with Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE).
The yen also declined versus the euro and the Australian dollar on the possibility that a success for the Obama plan will reduce demand for the yen as a safe investment.
By nearly noon in New York, the yen traded at Â¥93.835 to the US dollar, at Â¥117.5877 to the euro and at Â¥59.8628 to the Aussie while the greenback was at $1.2531 to the euro.
The euro was hurt by the chance that the recession could hurt banks in the Eurozone.
Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar gained on its US counterpart on hopes that the Obama plan to reduce home foreclosures will revive investor interest in risky currency investments by helping the US economy toward recovery.
In late morning trade in New York the loonie traded at C$1.2596 to the US dollar.
- Pound Sterling to Swiss Franc Exchange Rate (GBP/CHF) Falls on UK Inflation Data - September 16, 2014
- Pound to Rand Exchange Rate Outlook - GBP/ZAR Falling; Scottish Vote and SA Inflation Looms - September 16, 2014
- Euro, Pound and Yen Forecast - EUR and JPY Exchange Rates Predicted to Improve; Sterling Further Pressure - September 16, 2014
- Pound Dollar Forecast: Gains Predicted For The Pound Sterling to US Dollar Exchange Rate (GBP USD) - September 16, 2014
- Pound Sterling to Canadian Dollar Exchange Rate Today - GBP/CAD Experiencing Choppy Trade - September 15, 2014
- Australian Dollar FX Forecasts - GBP AUD Exchange Rate Firms, Aussie Lower vs US Dollar, Euro & NZ Dollar - September 15, 2014
- Pound, Euro, Dollar & Australian Dollar Forecasts - Latest GBP EUR USD + AUD Exchange Rate Predictions 2014 - September 15, 2014
- Aussie, NZ + Cdn Dollar Forecast - Losses Predicted for Australian, New Zealand & Canadian Dollar Exchange Rates On Fed Rate Speculation - September 15, 2014
- Pound Euro + Rand Today - Latest GBP, EUR and ZAR Exchange Rate Forecasts, Conversions & Predictions - September 14, 2014
- Pound Sterling to Australian Dollar (GBP/AUD) Exchange Rate Climbing as Aus Currency Softens Significantly - September 14, 2014
Daily Market Updates
Major Currency Forecasts
- Pound Sterling Forecast
- Euro Forecast
- American Dollar Forecast
- Australian Dollar Forecast
- Japanese Yen Forecast
- Swiss Franc Forecast
- New Zealand Dollar Forecast
- Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Norwegian Krone Forecast
- South African Rand Forecast
- Indian Rupee Forecast
- Singapore Dollar Forecast
- UAE Dirhams Forecast
- Turkish Lira Forecast
- Hong Kong Dollar Forecast
- Pound Euro Forecast
- Pound Dollar Forecast
- Pound Australian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Yen Forecast
- Pound Swiss Franc Forecast
- Pound NZ Dollar Forecast
- Pound Canadian Dollar Forecast
- Pound Krone Forecast
- Pound Rand Forecast
- Pound Rupee Forecast
- Pound Sing Dollar Forecast
- Pound Dirham Forecast
- Pound Lira Forecast
- Pound HK Dollar Forecast