GBP/EUR Outlook: Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Rangebound as UK Awaits PM Roadmap
February 22, 2021 - Written by John Cameron
STORY LINK GBP/EUR Outlook: Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Rangebound as UK Awaits PM Roadmap
GBP/EUR Exchange Rate Investors Optimistic Over Lockdown Easing
The Pound remained steady this morning, as the day arrives for Prime Minister Boris Johnson to announce his ‘roadmap’ out of the third national lockdown which was implemented to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
Although the Prime Minister is not expected to speak until tonight’s press conference at 7pm, many newspapers have begun reporting on what is expected to be announced this evening.
As expected, schools are to reopen on the 8th of March, while recreation in public places between two people will also be allowed.
Following on from this at the end of March, the rule of six is expected to be put into effect again, with outdoor gatherings allowed, including in private gardens.
Speaking this morning, vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi spoke on the gradual easing of restrictions and whether the UK could see a return of the tier system, saying:
‘I think because the way this new variant actually took hold, which has become the dominant variant, the Kent variant, in the United Kingdom, infection rates around the country pretty much rose to similar, very high, unsustainable levels.’
‘So the view is very much that this is about a gradual reopening of the whole of England, not regional.’
Euro (EUR) Exchange Rates Limit Losses as German Business Confidence Increases
Despite struggling against the Eurozone’s coronavirus situation, the Euro has managed to limit losses this morning as the latest Ifo Business Climate indicator from Germany beat forecasts and rose to 92.4 points, the highest level for four months.
However, as coronavirus lockdowns and curfews continue to be brought in and extended across the bloc, Euro investors remain cautious over the state of the Eurozone’s economy and when recovery can truly begin.
With European Central Bank (ECB) President, Christine Lagarde expected to speak this afternoon, Euro traders will be keeping a close eye on any dovish commentary regarding the Eurozone’s economic recovery.
GBP/EUR Forecast: UK Employment Data in Focus
For Pound investors, tomorrow sees the release of UK employment data from the end of 2020. The unemployment rate in the UK for December is expected to rise from 5% to 5.2%, if the data manages to beat forecasts then Sterling would be supported.
Euro investors will be looking towards the midweek release of GDP data from the Eurozone’s largest economy, Germany. The final data of Q4 is expected to show a modest growth of 0.1% which could see Germany avoid a double dip recession.
The GBP/EUR exchange rate will continue to be moved by any further coronavirus developments, with any indication in the coming days over any more dates regarding the UK’s easing out of lockdown adding further support to GBP.
International Money Transfer? Ask our resident FX expert a money transfer question or try John's new, free, no-obligation personal service! ,where he helps every step of the way,
ensuring you get the best exchange rates on your currency requirements.
TAGS: Pound Euro Forecasts
Comments are currrently disabled
- GBP/EUR Outlook: Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Gains as UK PMI Impresses - March 1, 2021
- GBP/EUR Outlook: Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Dips amid Risk-off trade - February 26, 2021
- GBP/CHF Forecast: Pound to Swiss Franc Exchange Rate Slumps from Year’s Best as Investors Head for Safe Havens - February 26, 2021
- Pound to Canadian Dollar (GBP/CAD) Exchange Rate Sinks as UK Economic Jitters Return - February 25, 2021
- Pound to Australian Dollar Rate Under Pressure as Australian Capital Expenditure Recovers - February 25, 2021
- GBP/NZD Exchange Rate Struggles as RBNZ Optimism Boosts Kiwi - February 24, 2021
- Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Forecast: GBP/EUR Firms as German GDP Impresses - February 24, 2021
- Pound to South African Rand Exchange Rate Struggles to Hold Gains as Rand Volatile - February 23, 2021
- Pound Australian Dollar Rate Shakes off Higher UK Unemployment - February 23, 2021
- GBP to USD Rises Ahead of UK Lockdown Exit Plan Announcement - February 22, 2021