Pound to Canadian Dollar (GBP/CAD) Exchange Rate Falls as the Bank of Canada Leaves Monetary Policy Unchanged
March 11, 2021 - Written by John Cameron
STORY LINK Pound to Canadian Dollar (GBP/CAD) Exchange Rate Falls as the Bank of Canada Leaves Monetary Policy Unchanged
GBP/CAD Exchange Rate Dips Following BoC Rate Statement
The Pound to Canadian Dollar (GBP/CAD) exchange rate fell by -0.2% following yesterday’s interest rate decision from the Bank of Canada (BoC) which saw rates left on hold. The pairing is currently fluctuating around CA$1.75.
Now that the BoC is essentially playing a game of wait-and-see, CAD investors are becoming more cautious about the outlook for the nation’s economy, despite relatively strong indications of growth.
Canada’s central bank stated that the economy was ‘proving to be more resilient than anticipated to the second wave of the virus.’
Analysts James Knightley and Francesco Pesole at ING commented:
‘The unchanged policy message by the BoC prompted a very contained reaction in the Canadian dollar. The Loonie has been the best-performing currency of the G10 dollar bloc in 2021, which has likely been due to a combination of sharply rising oil prices and generally better resilience to setbacks in global risk sentiment.’
Canadian Dollar (CAD) investors will also be awaiting today’s speech from the Bank of Canada’s (BoC) Deputy Governor Lawrence Schembri.
Any downbeat comments about the Canadian economy, however, could drag down the CAD/GBP exchange rate.
Pound (GBP) Sinks as Outlook for UK Economy Begins to Darken
The Pound (GBP) fell against the Canadian Dollar (CAD) today largely owing to a lack of notable UK economic data.
However, Covid-19 infection rates continue to fall, with daily cases down by -459, while those in hospital are down more significantly, at -3,450.
Instead, GBP investors are becoming concerned that several businesses could struggle, with news that supermarket giant Morrison’s profits had fallen by half in 2020.
Added to this, a recent survey has revealed that 74% of British firms have been hit by delays with EU markets.
Consequently, UK markets are becoming more cautious, as the outlook for the nation’s economy remains largely uncertain, especially with complications over Brexit likely to play out in the months and years ahead.
This week also saw Andrew Bailey, the Bank of England’s (BoE) Governor, express uncertainty over whether the economy would ever return to pre-Covid-19 patterns.
Nonetheless, Bailey was basically upbeat, seeing a light at the end of the tunnel because of the UK’s robust rollout of Covid-19 vaccines.
GBP/CAD Exchange Rate Forecast: Could Strong Industrial and Manufacturing Production Boost Sterling?
Canadian Dollar (CAD) investors will be awaiting tomorrow’s publication of February’s Canadian Unemployment Rate report.
Any signs of rising unemployment, however, would drag down the CAD/GBP exchange rate.
If oil prices head higher, then we could see the commodity-linked ‘Loonie’ begin to rise against many of its peers.
Pound (GBP) traders will be eyeing tomorrow’s Manufacturing and Industrial Production figures for January.
The GBP/CAD exchange rate could claw back some of its losses if the outlook for the UK’s economy improves.
International Money Transfer? Ask our resident FX expert a money transfer question or try John's new, free, no-obligation personal service! ,where he helps every step of the way,
ensuring you get the best exchange rates on your currency requirements.
TAGS: Canadian Dollar Forecasts Pound Canadian Dollar Forecasts
Comments are currrently disabled
- GBP USD Forecast Pound to US Dollar Exchange Rate Strengthens - May 18, 2021
- Pound Canadian Dollar (GBP/CAD) Exchange Rate Dips as Oil Prices Bolster Oil-Sensitive ‘Loonie’ - May 17, 2021
- GBP/EUR Exchange Rate Forecast: Pound Euro Mixed on Coronavirus Variant Concerns - May 17, 2021
- GBP/USD Forecast: Pound to US Dollar Exchange Rate Muted Ahead of US Retail Sales Data - May 14, 2021
- GBP/NZD Forecast: Pound New Zealand Dollar Exchange Rate Rangebound on UK Lockdown Easing Concerns - May 14, 2021
- EUR/USD Forecast: Euro to US Dollar Exchange Rate Softens as US Initial Jobless Claims Better Forecast - May 13, 2021
- GBP/USD Forecast: Pound to US Dollar Exchange Rate Weakens on US Inflation Data - May 13, 2021
- Pound Australian Dollar Exchange Rate Soars as UK Economy Rebounds in March - May 12, 2021
- GBP/EUR Forecast: Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Shored up as Monthly UK GDP Jumps - May 12, 2021
- GBP/USD Forecast: Pound to US Dollar Exchange Rate Mixed on UK Lockdown Easing - May 11, 2021